The games freezing up problem is mostly associated with high quality and huge resources used by games. After you buy such type of game, it may start freezing in middle and cause disturbance to you while playing.
This problem may happen due to various reasons depending on circumstances. For example, a computer with low memory than what was actually required by the game may cause this issue. Other responsible factors include fragmented disk, fragmented registry, many services running in the background, unnecessary start-up programs, and so on.
How could I fix games freezing up?
1. Run System Rating and upgrade necessary hardware
2. Defragment your disks
3. Defragment your registry
4. Optimize the computer for gaming by disabling unrelated services
5. Disable junk start-ups
Run System Rating and Upgrade Necessary Hardware
The System Rating feature in Windows Vista and Windows 7 computer lets you rate your computer based on various types of tests being conducted. It assesses the overall performance of your computer and informs you about the hardware need to be upgrade.
Using System Rating, rate your computer and upgrade necessary hardware to fix games freezing up.
1. Click Start.
2. Click Control Panel.
3. Type in Control Panel All Control Panel Items Performance Information and Tools the Address Bar:
4. Click Rate this Computer button.
5. Wait till various tests being performed.
6. After the results appear, list down the hardware that you have to upgrade. For example, RAM, harddisk, graphics card, and so on.
7. Add / upgrade them as per the actual needs and requirements.
Defragment your disks
Hard disk fragmentation is one of the most responsible factors for games freezing. Fragmentation means a single file is divided in multiple parts and thenby makes contents retrieving to take longer time than usual.
Defragment your disks using Disk Defragmenter.
1. Click Start.
2. Type Disk Defragmenter in the Search box and press ENTER.
3. Select the drives that you wish to defragment.
4. Click Defragment disks button to start the process.
Defragment your Registry
Many games use the registry to store their information and configurations. Fragmented registry results in games freezing as registry values retrieval process becomes hard.
1. Download System Utilities software.
2. Click Registry Defragmenter tab.
3. Click Analyze button.
4. Follow the instructions.
Note: You must close the active programs before continuing.
Optimize the Computer for Gaming by Disabling Unrelated Services
While you are playing a game on your computer, background services may be running and affecting its performance. To stop games freezing up, you have to optimize the computer for gaming as shown below:
1. Click Service Manager tab of the System Utilities software you have installed.
2. Click Optimize Services button.
3. Select the option Gaming Computer with Networking or otherwise just Gaming Computer and then Apply.
Disable Startup Items
Startup programs run at the time your operating system finishes booting. Disable most of them in the following way :.
1. Click Start.
2. Type MsConfig and press ENTER.
3. From the Startup tab, disable unnecessary start-ups.
4. Click Apply, then OK.
5. Restart the machine.